I have been computering for companies of varied sizes and types for 10+ years. My experience is mainly in systems administration (DevOps, SRE), IT security and programming. I try to stay on top of new technologies and practices and use them when/where appropriate. I am not bad at managing smaller projects and teams.
Selected employment history
Sr. Security Engineer at Deutsche Telekom Pan-Net [Bratislava, 2017 - present]
- Building and operating security products (WAF, SIEM, logs and metrics management) for both internal and external use.
- Developing scripts and programs using Bash, Python and Go.
- Maintaining Ansible playbooks, Kubernetes manifests and CI/CD pipelines.
- Managing projects/products and teams.
Security Engineer at First Data [Bratislava, 2016 - 2017]
- Did full-stack administration of a large log management solution based on Splunk, syslog-ng, Linux.
- Implemented a monitoring system using Python, Perl and Bash.
- Implemented a testing environment using VirtualBox, Vagrant, Ansible.
Sr. Linux Systems Specialist at Eset [Bratislava, 2015 - 2016]
- Administered Linux (Debian/Ubuntu) servers and services running on top of them (e.g. MySQL, Postfix).
- Introduced a configuration management tool (Ansible) and some other DevOps patterns like infrastructure as code, automated testing.
System and Network Administrator at Institute of Science and Technology [Vienna, 2013 - 2015]
- Took care of Linux based infrastructure (email system, web servers, file servers, DNS) and networking.
- Built tools and automated tasks via Perl, Bash and Ansible.
- Wrote software for monitoring backups and virtual machines using MySQL and Perl Dancer.
- Started to migrate monitoring system from Nagios to clustered Icinga2 setup.
System Administrator at Kedros [Bratislava, 2009 - 2011]
- Administered internal Linux (Debian) based infrastructure.
- Setup and maintained testing environments (Solaris, RHEL, Tomcat, Oracle) in collaboration with developers and testers.
- Wrote automation scripts in Unix shell and Perl.
- Managed projects’ deliverables.
IT Auditor at Slovak Telekom [Bratislava, 2004 - 2006, 2011 - 2013]
- Performed audits in IT, networking and IT security areas (e.g. Internet facing applications security, PKI review, Security of remote access, Patch management and vulnerability assessment).
- Administered internal lab consisting of Linux servers and Cisco networking devices.
- Managed small (up to 4 people) audit teams.
Project Implementation Manager for Italian region at AT&T [Bratislava, 2004-2004]
- Studied WAN and LAN networks
Unix 1st line support specialist at Hewlett-Packard Slovakia [Bratislava, 2004-2004]
- Troubleshooted and fixed issues on Unix servers
Technologies used professionally
(I especially enjoy those in bold)
- Linux/UNIX: Ubuntu, Debian, RHEL, CentOS, Solaris, OpenBSD
- virtualization/cointainers: Kubernetes, Docker, OpenStack, Vagrant, VirtualBox, VMware, KVM, Xen
- artificial: Go (Golang), Python, Perl, Bash
- natural: English, Slovak, Italian, Czech
- general: Linux networking, iptables, Cisco switches, GSM
- daemons: NGINX, sshd, Apache, Bind, vsftp, OpenLDAP, OpenVPN
- configuration, orchestration: Ansible, OpenStack Heat
- monitoring: Prometheus, Zabbix, Icinga, Nagios
- big data and logs: Grafana, Graylog, Splunk, syslog-ng
- databases: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle
- HA: HAProxy, keepalived, Pacemaker, DRBD
- hardware: HP, Supermicro, Ironport, EMC, Netapp, Cisco
- backups: rsync, ZFS, Bacula, rsnapshot
- editors: Visual Studio Code, Atom, Vi(m), Notepad++
- documentation: Hugo, Confluence, MediaWiki, MoinMoin
- tickets, bugs and projects: GitLab, GitHub, Jira, RT, Redmine, Remedy
- security: nmap, tcpdump, Wireshark, OSSEC, Metasploit
- VCS, CI/CD: git, TravisCI
- chatops: Slack
Certificates and formal education
- CKAD: Certified Kubernetes Application Developer [2021 - 2024]
- CCENT: Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician [2013 - 2016]
- LPIC-2: Linux Professional Institute Certification - Advanced Level Administration [2012 - 2017]
- CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional [2011 - 2014]
- CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate [2006 - 2009]
- Cisco Networking Academy - Four semester study in computer systems networking and telecommunications [2005 - 2006]
- Università degli Studi di Firenze [2003 - 2003]
- University of Economics [1998 - 2004]
- Bilingual high-school, Slovak - Italian [1993 - 1998]