System administration philosophy of Æ. Frish (2002)
- Know how things work.
- Plan it before you do it.
- Make it reversible (backups help a lot with this one).
- Make changes incrementally.
- Test, test, test, before you unleash it on the world.
Tenets of Evi Nemeth (from ULSAH 5th, 2017)
- Be conservative in what you send and liberal in what you receive. (Postel’s law)
- Be liberal in who you hire, but fire early.
- Don’t use weasel words. [Language designed to sound like something without actually saying anything.]
- Undergraduates are the secret superpower.
- You can never use too much red ink.
- You don’t really understand something until you’ve implemented it.
- It’s always time for sushi.
- Be willing to try something twice.
- Always use