Hosts and clusters
- vSphere Client - thick client for managing vCenter servers
- vCenter Server - container for Datacenters
- Datacenter - container for Clusters and Hosts. Large companies might use datacenters to represent organizational units.
- Cluster - group of hosts
- Host - computer that uses virtualization software (ESX or ESXi) to run VMs
Networking * vSphere Distributed Switch - acts as a single virtual switch across all associated hosts
* Datastore - a logical container that holds VMs’ files (like
*.nvram). Can exist on different types of physical storage (local disks,
iSCSI, Fibre Channel SAN, NFS). Can be VMFS-based or NFS-based. Can be
created by formatting LUNs or by mounting NFS volumes to an existing host.
* More: https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.vcli.examples.doc/cli_manage_storage.6.1.html